Bassey Albert Akpan is a successful banker who ventured into politics in 2007, as a Commissioner in the Executive Council of the Akwa Ibom state government.
Born 28 October 1972 to Agbo Ojeka from Opkoma; Yala LGA, Cross River State. Bassey Albert Akpan is known and addressed as the Ehnin of Ibionno Ibom [The Elephant of Ibionno Ibom] and he is also known and addressed as the Anowo Udiah 1 of Ibionno Ibom, meaning “the man that gives people food to eat”, by women and youths.
|1.||First School Leaving Certificate||WTC Primary School Enugu||1977|
|2.||High School Certificate||St Patrick’s College, Calabar,||1974|
|3.||BSc in Economics||University of Uyo||1975|
|4.||Masters of Business Administration(MBA) degree||University of Nigeria, Nsukka.||1981|
|1.||International Operations and Consumer Banking/Retail Banking Unit||United Bank for Africa (UBA)||1997|
|2.||Manager, Corporate Banking group||Continental Trust Bank Victoria Island Lagos, Head Office.||1999|
|3.||Branch Manager||First Inland Bank Plc, Uyo||2003|
|4.||Assistant Vice President||First City Monument Bank||2005|
|5.||General Manager||First City Monument Bank, Akwa Ibom and Cross River States.|
Agbo Ojeka from Opkoma; Yala LGA, Cross River State
4 June 1966
Cross River State
People's Democratic Party (PDP)
Commissioner of Finance in Akwa Ibom State from 2007 to 2014.
Chairman of the Inter-ministerial Direct Labour Coordinating Committee.
Candidate for Governorship seat of Akwa Ibom State 2014 – unsuccessful.
Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2015.
Chairman of the Senate committee on Gas Resources.
Awards & Honours
- Golden Award by Lions Club International for Service to Humanity (2011).
- The Paul Harry Fellow Award by Rotary Club International in recognition of Service to Humanity (2011).
- Fellow, Nigerian Association of Teachers of Technology (2010).
- Award of Excellence, the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) Uyo and District Society (2009).
- Award of Honour, Ibiono Ibom Welfare & Development Union (IWADU – 2009).
- Traditional Title of “ENIN IBIONO IBOM” (Elephant of Ibiono Ibom) by Ibiono Ibom Traditional Rulers Council (2009)..
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) 2013.
- Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Project Managers of Nigeria (2013).
- Fellow of the National Association of Research Development (FNARD) (2013).
- Patron of Christian Council of Nigeria (2013).
- Chairman, Akwa Ibom State Golf Association (2013)
- Golden Public Service Award by the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Uyo Branch (2013).
- Award of Excellence by the Foundation for Sound and Intervention (FASMACIN) (2013).
- Award of Honour’ presented by National Association of Ibiono Ibom Students, University of Calabar Chapter (NAIBS – UCC), (April 2014).
- Award of Excellence’ Presented by Forum of Past Student Leaders, University of Uyo, (March 2014)
- Award of Chieftaincy Title of “OBONG UFORO AKWA IBOM STATE (Monarch of Prosperity of Akwa Ibom State) by the Paramount Ruler of Etinan and Chairman, Akwa Ibom State Council of Chiefs, His Majesty Edidem Dickson Umoette.
Free Multipurpose ultra-modern civic hall.
Scholarship schemes for over 180 students to study at various Universities.