Abubakar Atiku Bagudu is the current governor of Kebbi State, elected in 2015, on the platform of the All Progressives Congress. He served as the Senator representing Kebbi Central Senatorial District between 2008 to 2015. Bagudu has been named an accomplice in multiple investigations involving corruption that occurred during the regime of former Nigerian military ruler, General Sani Abacha.
Born on 26th December 1961 to an affluent family. His father was the Director of Primary Education in Kebbi. Bagadu is married to two wives, Dr. Zainab Atiku Bagudu and Aisha Atiku Bagudu. He is blessed with children. Bagudu had a close relationship with former Head of State, Major General Sani Abacha.
|Columbia University, New York, USA||M.A. International Affairs|
|University of Jos, Plateau State||M.Sc Economics|
|Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto State||B. Sc Economics|
Bagudu got into politics in 2008 when he was elected Senator for the Kebbi Central Senatorial District during a by-election after Senator Adamu Aliero was appointed Minister of the Federal Capital Territory. He ran successfully for re-election in 2011, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party.
In 2014, Bagudu defected from PDP to the All Progressives Congress. He became the party’s flagbearer for the Kebbi 2015 gubernatorial elections. Bagudu emerged the winner of the elections in a landslide victory. He polled 673,717 votes, while his rival Senator Isah Galaudu of PDP polled 106,633 votes.
Awards & Honours
- 2021 National Space Ambassador Award by the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA)
- 2019 Award of Excellence from the Nigerian Labour Congress
- Road construction around Kebbi State especially Aliero Quarters and Bayan-Kara areas.
- Partnership of Kebbi State government with the Lagos State government on the establishment of a commodity value chain that will give a quantum leap to food processing, production and distribution
- Rebuilt the Birnin Kebbi Central Market, with a total of 1050 stalls and shops
- Payment of over N668M examination fees of Kebbi State students to WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and NBAIS
- Donated N464M to execute projects and launch empowerment programs under the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development
- Rehabilitated of 225 Primary Healthcare Centres across the state
- Renovated of Kebbi Medical Centre, Kalgo, and the Sir Yahaya Memorial hospital to modern hospitals
- Attracted investors like Dangote who is building a Rice Mill and Sugar Factory in Kebbi; the Kebbi/NNPC Ethanol Project in Zuru Emira
- Upgraded three colleges: Adamu Augie College of Education Argungu, the Kebbi State College of Nursing Sciences and Midwifery, Birnin Kebbi and the College of Health Technology, Jega to degree awarding institutions
Bagudu is involved in several corruption controversies. He was a known associate of former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha, who was accused of stealing more than $2.2 billion of public funds during his five-year tenure as Nigerian president in the 1990s. The U.S. government alleged that Sani Abacha, his son Mohammed Sani Abacha, their associate Bagudu, and others, “embezzled, misappropriated and extorted billions of dollars from the government of Nigeria and others, then laundered their criminal proceeds through U.S. financial institutions and the purchase of bonds backed by the United States”. Bagudu was one of the Nigerians unveiled by the 2021 Pandora Papers as hiding dirty money in offshore shell companies. However, Bagudu is immune from prosecution while Governor of Kebbi State.