Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko, former Governor of Sokoto state is the current representative of the people of Sokoto North Senatorial district at the National Assembly Nigeria.
Born 1 March 1953 in Wamakko, Sokoto State
|1.||Pry-school Leaving Certificate||Bukar Abba Ibrahim Central||1957|
|2.||West African School Certificate Examination||Sokoto Teachers’ College.||1968-1972|
|3.||B.Sc.||University of Pittsburgh in the United States.||1980.|
|1.||Teacher||Sokoto Teachers College||1973-1977|
|2.||Principal Assistant Secretary||Zurmi Local Government Area (LGA)|
|4.||Chairman||Kaura Namoda LGA, / Sokoto LGA||1986-1987|
|5.||General Manager,||Hotel Management and Tourism Board, Sokoto.|
|6.||Director-General, Careers and Special Services,||Governor’s Office, Sokoto in March 1992.|
Wamakko, Sokoto State
1 March 1953
All Progressives Congress (APC)
Governor of Yobe State
- Deputy Governor of Sokoto State to Governor Attahiru Bafarawa in 1999 – 2006.
- Governor of Sokoto State 2007.
- He will be contesting to retain his current position as the senator of the Sokoto North senatorial district in the 2023 election
Awards & Honours
- Associate member of the Nigeria Institute of Quantity Surveyors.
- Hon. Phd in Environmental Management, Federal University of Science and Technology Akure.
- Hon. Phd in Agriculture, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi.
In 2007, Wamakko launched the State Poverty Reduction Agency (SPORA) to run programs such as the youth skills acquisition program.
The Sokoto State Commissioner of Justice wanted to prosecute Wamakko’s predecessor Attahiru Bafarawa and five others for alleged misappropriation of N2.919 billion. Bafarawa said the Sokoto commission of inquiry had been set up by Wamakko solely in order to discredit him. He said that Wamakko was his deputy whom the House nearly removed for corrupt tendencies, and that “If there were such illegal deductions and withdrawals, he should be in a better position to answer for them. Bafarawa asked the commission to invite Wamakko to testify so that certain issues could be clarified, but his request was refused.