Peter Ayodele Fayose is a former governor of Ekiti State, who served twice, between 2003 and 2006; 2014 and 2018, under the platform of People’s Democratic Party. He is a philanthropist and businessman. Fayose is the only Nigerian to defeat an incumbent governor two times.
Born on 15th November 1960 to Pastor Oluwafemi Oluwayose and Prophetess Victoria Olufunke Oluwayose, in Ibadan, Oyo State. He is a native of Afao Ekiti in Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government Area of Ekiti state. He got married to Mrs Feyisetan Fayose in 1988, and they have 5 sons (Joju, Rogba, Tomiwa, Nigba, and Boluwatife). Fayose lost his immediate elder sister, Mrs Moji Ladeji, in September 2020.
|The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State||Higher National Diploma (HND) in Biological Sciences/Applied Medical/Biology||1985-1987|
|Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Science Laboratory Technology||1982-1984|
|Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State||Pre-National Diploma (Pre-ND)|
|Olivet Baptist High School, Oyo State||Secondary School Certificate||1973-1979|
|Saint Leo’s Catholic Primary School, Ibadan, Oyo State||First School Leaving Certificate||1966-1972|
|Spotless Investment Limited||Chief Executive Officer||1998-2003|
|Pepsi Nigeria Limited, Ibadan, Oyo State||National Youth Service Corps Member|
|Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN), Ibadan, Oyo State||Trainee|
Ibadan, Oyo State
9th February 1965
All Progressives Congress
Governor, Ekiti State (2010-2014)
Minister of Mines and Steel Development (2015-2018)
Governor, Ekiti State (since 2018)
Fayose’s political journey began when he served as the Chairman of a Facts-Finding Committee set up by the People’s Democratic Party and was assigned to Kaduna State. He also served twice as a national delegate to the PDP national convention.
He however came to the limelight when he became the second governor of Ekiti State on May 29th, 2003, defeating incumbent governor, Adeniyi Adebayo. Fayose could not complete his tenure as a result of impeachment on 16 October 2006.
Ayo came to the limelight when he became the second executive governor of Ekiti state on May 29, 2003, after defeating the then incumbent governor, Niyi Adebayo. He was impeached on 16 October 2006 but came back to contest in 2014. During the 2014 Ekiti State gubernatorial election, Fayose was again the PDP nominee. He won the election and was declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission as the new Governor of Ekiti State; he was inaugurated on 16 Of October, 2014. Fayose is now the only Nigerian to defeat an incumbent two times.
Fayose has publicly declared his intentions to run for president in Nigerian general election, 2019. His party, The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, admonished him against the ambition to be the party’s presidential candidate in 2019. Fayose later dropped his ambition.
- Focused, selfless and Blunt style of leadership.
Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose has directed that ‘80% of the petrol in the 60,000 liters capacity Government House Fuel Dump be taken to two petrol stations in Ado Ekiti, to be sold to the public at the official price of N145 per liter.
Awards & Honours
2021 Freedom of Information Act (FOI) Award conferred by the International Press Centre
2021 Governor of the Year Award by SERAS CSR Awards Africa
2019 Governor the Year Award by Vanguard Newspaper
2013 Zik Prize in Leadership Award
2013 Good Governance Award by Nigeria-American Chamber of Commerce (NACC)
Fellow of the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Ibadan
National Honour of Commonader of the Order of the Niger (CON)
- Rehabilitation of Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Established the Ekiti State Polytechnic in Isan-Ekiti
- Attracted $250,000 funding from the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) for the feasibility study of the Ekiti Knowledge Zone (smart city project)
- Installation of four 500KVA distribution substation transformers in Ido Ekiti
- Construction of International Cargo Airport
- Distribution of ₦497 million to 70 communities to complete ongoing projects in their domains and to initiate new ones
- Construction of Ekiti Civic Centre located at the Business District Area of Fajuyi Square, Ado Ekiti.
- Creation of 19 additional Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs)
- Rehabilitation of Ekiti State Teaching Hospital
- Construction of major federal roads across Ekiti State
- Fayose is the only person from the main opposition party in Nigeria to have publicly declared his intentions to run for presidency in Nigeria’s general election, 2019. Even though his party, The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has admonished the Governor, against his ambition to be the party’s presidential candidate in 2019.
- Fayose is now the only Nigerian to defeat an incumbent two times.
- Allegation of vote rigging in the 2014 election.
- The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission froze four Zenith Bank accounts used by Fayose to launder money for his Ekiti governorship election in 2014 in a lawsuit no. FHC/CS?871/2016 titled “Federal Republic of Nigeria Vs Zenith bank PLC account numbers 1003126654, 9013074033, 1010170969 and 1013835889.”
- Fayose Accused Aisha Buhari over money laundering to the USA .
- Fayose Allegedly accused of slapping a Judge and ordering thugs to beat him up.