Babatunde Fashola (SAN) is the current Minister of Works and Housing. Fashola was a legal practitioner before venturing into politics to serve as governor of Lagos state from 2007-2015.
Fashola is married to Abimbola Fashola with children.
|Birch Freeman High Scool, Sunny Field Primary school||First leaving Certificate|
|Igbobi College, Yaba, Lagos||Bsc. In Economics and Industrial relations|
|University of Benin||Bachelor of Laws, LL.B.(Hon)||1987|
|Nigerian Law School||B.Law||1987-1988|
|Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe and Belgore||Litigator|
Lagos State, Nigeria
28 June 1963
All Progressive Congress (APC)
Fashola’s political career started as he served as Chief of Staff to his predecessor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Fashola had during his tenure as Chief of Staff also served as the Honorable Commissioner to the Governor’s office. He was the first person to hold both offices simultaneously.
Babatunde Fashola also served in Lagos state in various capacities, including:
- Secretary of the Lands Sub-Committee of the Transitional Work Groups, 1999.
- Member of the panel of Enquiry into allocation of houses on the Mobolaji Johnson Housing Scheme at Lekki, 2000.
- Member of the State Tenders Board- 2002– 2006.
- Member of Lagos State Executive Council-2002-2006.
- Member of the State Security Council-2002-2006
- Member of the State Treasury Board-2002-2006
- Chairman Ad-Hoc Committee on the Review of Asset distribution among Local Government.
- Governor of Lagos state
Babatunde Raji Fashola commenced a four-year tenure as the Executive Governor of Lagos State in Nigeria on 29 May 2007.
Awards & Honours
- Main: Megacity project (Eko-Atlantic City construction)
- Construction of roads
- BRT Project
- Water safety Initiative
- Taxation: One of the main sources of Lagos State government’ funds are received as taxpayers’ money. A controversial proposal to charge consumption tax on eateries had been enforced. The matter was taken to court, but the ruling was announced in the government’s favor.