Darius Dickson Ishaku is the current governor of Taraba State, elected in 2015, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party. He previously served as the Supervising Minister for Power, Supervising Minister for Environment and the Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs. Ishaku is an architect, urban planner and university lecturer by profession.
He was born on 30th July 1954 to Mr Ishaku Istifanus and Mrs Naomi at Lupwe, Ussa Local Government Area, Taraba State. He is the fifth child of ten children. Ishaku is happily married to Barr. Anna Mbasughun Darius Ishaku, and they are blessed with children.
|Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State||PhD Architecture||2007-2014|
|Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State||M.Arch||1978-1979|
|Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State||B.Arch||1974-1977|
|School of Basic Studies, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State||A-Level||1972-1974|
|St. Paul’s College, Kufena, Zaria, Kaduna State||West African Senior Secondary Certificate||1972|
|St. Bartholomew’s Primary School, Wusasa, Zaria, Kaduna State||First School Leaving Certificate||1961-1967|
|Excelare Partners, Kaduna State||Managing Director||1983|
|Bestarc International Association||Director||1983|
|Inter Design Partnership||Architect||1980|
|Imo State Ministry of Works and Housing||National Youth Service Corps Member||1979-1980|
Taraba State, Nigeria
May 5th, 1963
People Democratic Party (PDP)
Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs
Governor of Taraba State
Ishaku was previously the Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs before he resigned to contest in the 2015 Taraba State gubernatorial election. Darius won the 2015 election on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party but was in a court battle with his opponent, Senator Aisha Jumai Alhassan, who took him to court. After a series of cases, in 2016, Darius was declared the winner of the governorship election. He was re-elected Governor of Taraba State after winning the subsequent re-run election in 2019. He will be retiring from his current position as the Governor of Taraba State in the upcoming 2023 election.
Awards & Honours
- 2021 “Waterman of the Year” Award by Daily independent Newspaper
- 2021 Award for Outstanding Contributions to Architecture and Development of Nigeria conferred by the Nigerian Institute of Architects
- Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Architects (2001)
- Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners
- Facilitated the construction of the Tunga Mini Hydro-electric dam in partnership with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Installed a transformer to service the Wukari business district with 7.5 Megawatts of electricity.
- Installed numerous boreholes in multiple locations across the state
- Initiated youth development and agricultural programs
Ishaku has engaged in volunteering by providing free services in design, consultancy and supervision of several projects:
- Mitosath Clinic (River Blindness Clinic/hospital) Jos, Plateau State.
- Renovation of Hekan Catheral and Primary school Kaduna.
- Design and Supervision of church building in Gubuchi –Ikara, Kaduna State
- Design and supervision of Hekan Church, Jalingo, Taraba State.
- Albarka Baptist church, Kaduna State.
- Jukun Bible Institute, Wukari, Taraba State
- Christian Reformed Church of Christ in Nigeria Hospital, Takum, Taraba State.
In February 2022, the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) raised an allegation against Ishaku saying that he was “carrying out intensive religious cleansing against Muslims in the state.” According to the religious group, Ishaku has been persecuting Muslims in Taraba state since his assumption of office in 2015. He was also accused of marginalising Muslims in the state’s political appointments.