David Nweze Umahi is the Governor of Ebonyi State, who was elected in April 2015. He served as the Deputy Governor of Ebonyi State between 2011 and 2015. He is a philanthropist, and by profession, an engineer.
He was born on 25th July 1964, in Umunaga village, Uburu, Ohaozara local government, Ebonyi State, to the family of Elder Joseph Umahi Nwaze and Deaconess Margaret Umahi. He is from a home of nine children (7 males, 2 females). David Nweze is happily married to Chief Mrs Racheal Umahi with seven children. He is a devout Christian, who is a Deacon at Christ Embassy Church. He holds several chieftaincy titles, including Ekubara Oha of Ohaozara. Umahi enjoys playing football and table tennis.
|Anambra State University of Science and Technology, Anambra State||B. Eng Civil Engineering||1982-1987|
|Government Secondary School, Afikpo, Ebonyi State||West African Senior School Certificate||1979|
|Ishiagu High School, Ebonyi State||1978|
|Umunaga Primary School, Uburu, Ebonyi State||First School Leaving Certificate||1971-1977|
|Federal Medical Centre, Asaba, Delta State||Chairman, Governing Board||2010-2011|
|Osborn La Palm Royal Resort Ltd||Chairman/CEO||Until 2011|
|Focus Investment Nig. Ltd||Chairman/CEO||Until 2011|
|Brass Engineering & Construction Nig. Ltd||Chairman/CEO||Until 2011|
|Norman Engineering & Construction Nigeria Ltd||General Manager/Co-founder||1990-1993|
|SCC Nigeria Limited||Project Engineer||1989-1990|
|SAIPEM SPA, Benin City, Edo State||Sectional Head (Cathodic Protection Engineering Sector)||1988-1989|
Umunaga village, Uburu, Ohaozara LGA, Ebonyi State
25th July 1964
All Progressives Congress
Deputy Governor, Ebonyi State (2011-2015)
Governor, Ebonyi State (since 2015)
Umahi’s political career began when he was appointed the Acting Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party, Ebonyi State, between 2007 and 2009. He was elected the State Chairman of PDP in Ebonyi State, during the 2009 State Congress. Umahi held this position till 2011.
In 2011, he was chosen by Chief Martin Elechi of PDP, to be his running mate in the gubernatorial election of Ebonyi State. Subsequently, he was elected the Deputy Governor of Ebonyi State on 26th April 2011 and was sworn in on 29th May 2011.
In 2015, Umahi ran for the governorship seat of Ebonyi State, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party. After much controversy, including the involvement of the election tribunal, he was elected as the Governor of Ebonyi State.
Umahi was re-elected as the Governor in 2019, polling 393,343 votes to defeat a close rival, Sonny Ogbuoji of APC, who polled 81,703 votes.
On November 17th, 2020, Governor Dave Umahi defected to the All Progressives Congress. According to him, his reasons for this move, are that “the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has been unfair to the South-East Geopolitical Zone” and “that it has been hijacked by one or two individuals“
Awards & Honours
2021 Award of Excellence in Leadership by Nnamdi Azikiwe University
2019 Best Governor in Educational Reforms, Infrastructural Development and Respect for Human Rights in Nigeria conferred by National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)
2017 Award for Most Police-Friendly Governor by the Nigerian Police Force
1989 NYSC State Award for an Outstanding Performance
Fellow, Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE)
Fellow, Council of Technologists of Nigeria (FCORTN)
- Facilitated several housing projects to provide accommodation for 1 million households in Ebonyi State (NLC Estate, Mortgage Home, Forest Estate, etc)
- Built the biggest light tunnel in Africa
- Developed the Eng. Dave Umahi Education Foundation which gives scholarships to undergraduate students throughout their tertiary education
- Construction of Ebonyi International Airport, Onueke
- Construction of Ebonyi State Olympic Stadium in Ochudo Centenary City, Abakaliki.
- Rehabilitation of major federal roads in Ebonyi state especially the Afikpo-Abakaliki road, the Amasiri/Okposi federal road, and the Nkalagu/Nigercem road
- Built King David University of Medical Science, Uburu, Ebonyi State
- Construction of 23 flyovers in various cities in Ebonyi State
Built the Ebonyi International Mall, Abakaliki – modelled after the Dubai Mall
- On January 29, 2021, the Peoples Gazette reported that throughout Umahi’s tenure as Deputy Governor and Governor, he had transferred more than ₦3.6 billion in government money to his company, Brass Engineering & Construction Nig. Ltd. Bank records showed the payments started in 2011 when Umahi became Deputy Governor. In response, Umahi and an aide allegedly threatened Peoples Gazette reporters on phone calls and the media house’s website was blocked. Umahi requested a retraction and ₦1 billion as “atonement” from the newspaper. After the paper stood by its story, Umahi sued the Peoples Gazette for defamation and demanded ₦2 billion in damages.
- Umahi was criticised for mismanaging funds by spending over ₦250 million on renovating the governor’s lodge and also laying the foundation for constructing a new government house inclusive of a lodge. Several questions were raised as to why he spent so much money renovating the lodge when he intended to build a completely new one.
- In 2018, Umahi was criticised for his decision to introduce a new tax regime in the state which taxed everything in the state and increase tax by a significant percentage