Gilbert Emeka Nnaji is a Nigerian politician and former senator representing Enugu East senatorial district in the Nigerian Senate, he was a senator of the 8th Senate of Nigeria. He is an indigene of Amorji Nike in Enugu State
Gilbert Nnaji is a devoted Christian and was married to Mrs Ann Nnaji. His wife passed away in September 2017 after a protracted battle with an undisclosed ailment. He is blessed with children.
|Primary Education||Community Primary School, Amoji, Nike.||—|
|Secondary Education||Boys High School Awkunanaw||—-|
|B.Sc in Banking and Finance||University of Nigeria, Nsukka||—–|
Gilbert Nnaji’s career in politics started when he became the Chairman of the Enugu East Local Government from 1997 to 1998. He was again re-elected as Chairman from 1999 to 2002. He contested for the Federal House of Representatives and won in 2003. He was in the position for two tenures and became the Deputy House Leader while at the Federal House of Representatives.
During the 2015 elections, he contested for the Enugu East Senatorial District senatorial position and won under the People’s Democratic Party(PDP) platform. However, the former Governor Chimaroke Nnamani, his opponent, went to the election petition tribunal to contest the result. Gilbert Nnaji’s victory was nullified by the National Assembly Election Tribunal sitting in Enugu State in October 2015. The tribunal ruled that Nnaji was not the duly elected candidate in the election.
The tribunal ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue the Certificate of Return to Chimaroke Nnamani. However, the decision of the Tribunal was overturned by the Court of Appeal on December 08, 2015, declaring Senator Gil Nnaji the winner of the Enugu East senatorial elections.
Awards & Honours
- Two world-class e-Libraries, one each at Godfrey Okoye University and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- Three units of three classroom Blocks with VIP toilet and Hand pump Borehole in Community Primary School Amagu-Akegbe, Nkanu-West LGA.
- Massive General Hospital in Ndiagu-Obuno-Akpugo, Nkanu-West LGA.
- Three motorized boreholes with a reservoir in ObodoIkolo-Amurri, Nkanu-West LGA.
- Construction of 7.5 MVA Injection Sub-Station at Nike Lake Junction, Enugu-East LGA.
- Hundreds of these items were distributed: Tricycles, Refrigerators, Power Generating Sets, automatic wheelchairs, two 500KVA Transformers, five 300KVA Transformers and cash empowerment for some selected trader women during the 2018 Constituency Empowerment Program.
- Installation of 500KVA Transformer and extension of cable at Nkwo-Nara, Nkanu-East.