Ibrahim Shekarau was a former Nigeria’s minister of education and two term Governor of Kano State who was elected in April 2003 and reelected in April 2007. He is the member representing Kano Central Senatorial District in the 9th National Assembly. Shekarau was born on the 5th of November 1955 in Kurmawa, Kano State. Shekarau is a member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
|Gidan Makama Primary School||First leaving certificate||(1961–1967)|
|Kano Commercial College||WASSC||(1967–1973)|
|Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria||B.Sc. Degree in Mathematics/Education||(1973–1977)|
|Government Technical College, Wudil||Mathematics teacher||1978|
|Government Day Junior Secondary School, Wudil||Principal||1979|
|Government Secondary School, Hadejia||Principal||1980|
|Government College Birnin Kudu||Principal||1986|
|Government Secondary School, Gwammaja||Principal|
|Bichi Zonal Education Area||Deputy Director of Education||1992|
|Ministry of Education||Director Planning, Research and Statistics||1993|
|Ministry of Education and Youth Development||Permanent Secretary||1994|
|Ministry of Water Resources, Rural and Community Development||Permanent Secretary||1995|
|Ministry of Education||Permanent Secretary||1997|
|General Service Directorate of the Cabinet Office||Permanent Secretary|
|Civil Service Commission||Permanent Secretary||2000|
|State College of Arts, Science and Remedial Studies (CASRS)||Chief Lecturer (Mathematics)||2000|
Kurmawa, Kano State
Date of Birth:
5th of November 1955
State Of Origin:
People's Democratic Party(PDP)
Previous Political post:
Current Political post:
Senator, Kano Central Senatorial District
- Governorship: Shekarau initiated some large scale development projects in Kano State. He also hosted some world leaders like the former German Chancellor Schroeder, Prince Charles, among others. The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero conferred on him, the title of Sardauna of Kano, now of the leading emirate councillors.
- Presidential bid: Governor Ibrahim Shekarau was one of the candidates for the Nigerian presidential elections of 2011
- In May 2022, Shekarau defected from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP). Three months later, he announced his defection again to the leading opposition party, PDP. He will be contesting to retain his current position as the senator of the Kano Central senatorial district in the 2023 election under the platform of the PDP.
- Strict sharia philosophy to leadership.
Awards & Honours
- Constructed a N5.3b water plant in Kano to mitigate the recurrent water scarcity facing parts of the state.
- Built an ultra-modern GSM Market in Kano.
- In 2003, Governor Shekarau became the focus of uproar as he suspended polio drops for children over rumours that Western immunisation programmes were a plot to sterilise Muslims. An international outcry was too late to prevent the sudden resurgence of polio among children in northern Nigeria.
- Shekarau was constantly criticized for being the driving force behind the creation of the local religious police, the “Hisbah Guard”, which enforces Sharia law.