Ivara Ejemot Esu is the Deputy Governor of Cross River State, under the leadership of Governor Benedict Ayade. He is an academic administrator, pedologist (soil scientist) and professor.
He was born on 3rd May 1951, to the family of Mr Jonathan and Mrs Ada Ejemot Esu at Agwagune, Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State. He is married to Omotunde Abosede Ivara Esu, a former permanent secretary in the Cross River State Government, and they are blessed with four children; Ekpereonne, Ozak, Orimini and Onyi. He has published several books and journal papers.
|Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State||PhD Pedology||1982|
|University of Minnesota, USA||M.Sc Soil Science||1976-1978|
|Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State||B.Sc Agriculture||1970-1974|
|Mary Knoll College, Okuku, Yala Local Government Area, Cross River State||Secondary School Certificate||January – September 1970|
|Community Secondary Grammar School, Ugep, Yakurr Local Government Area, Cross River State||1968-1969|
|Presbyterian Secondary School, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State||1964-1967|
|Presbyterian Primary School Itigidi, Abi Local Government Area, Cross River State||First School Leaving Certificate||1957-1963|
|Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Anambra State||Chairman||2012–2015|
|Federal Medical Centre Board, Owerri, Imo State||Chairman||2009-2011|
|University of Calabar, Cross River State||Vice Chancellor||2000-2005|
|Cross River State Book Writing and Review Committee||Chairman||2000-2004|
|University of Calabar, Cross River State||Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)||1998-1999|
|University of Calabar, Cross River State||Provost, Ouku Campus||1996-1998|
|University of Calabar, Cross River State||Dean, Faculty of Agriculture||1995-1998|
|University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State||Adjunct Professor|
|University of Ghana, Accra||Visiting Scholar|
|National Institute of Water Resources, Kaduna State||Lecturer|
|Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna State||Professor of Pedology||1994|
|Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna State||Assistant Lecturer in Soil Science||1975|
Agwagune, Biase LGA, Cross River State.
3rd May 1951
Cross River State
All Progressives Congress
Minister of State for Tourism, Culture and National Orientation(2007)
Commissioner for Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development, Cross River State (1992-1993)
Deputy Governor, Cross River State (since 2015)
In 1992, Esu was appointed as the Commissioner for Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development in Cross River State. He held this position for a year.
Between January and May 2007, he served as the Honourable Minister of State for Tourism, Culture and National Orientation.
In 2015, he was chosen to be the running mate of Benedict Ayade, and on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party, they emerged winners in the 2015 gubernatorial elections of Cross Rivers State.
In May 2021, when Governor Benedict defected to All Progressives Congress, Esu did the same.
He will be retiring from his current position as the Deputy Governor of Cross River State in the 2023 election
Awards & Honours
- 2020 Honorary Ambassador of Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers
- Nigerian National Honour Award of the Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (OFR) conferred by President Olusegun Obasanjo (2005)
- 2005 Award of Excellence by Student Union Government, University of Calabar
- Cross River State Honours Merit Award conferred by Governor Donald Duke (2004)
- 2004 Centenary Merit Award by the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria, Duke Town Parish
- 2003 Distinguished Award for Excellent Performance in the Nigerian Public Service, conferred by the Governing Council, Chartered Institute of Public Administrators of Nigeria
- 2003 Appreciation Award by the Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission
- 1971 Recipient of German Academic Exchange Scholarship