Joseph Obinna Ogba is the Senator who has been representing Ebonyi Central Senatorial District since 2015, on the platform of People’s Democratic Party.
He was born in 1961 in Nkalagu, Ishielu Local Government Area, Ebonyi State.
|Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State||Higher National Diploma in Mass Communication|
|Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State||Diploma|
|Command Secondary School, Nkalagu, Ebonyi State||General Certificate of Education||1975|
|Nigeria National League||Chairman||2020-date|
|Nigeria Football Federation||Chairman, Marketing & Sponsor Committee||2006|
|Ebonyi State Football Association||Chairman||2003-date|
|Ebonyi Angels Football Club||Chairman||1999-2002|
|Nigeria Football Referee Council (Anambra State Chapter)||Chairman||1995-1997|
|Nigerian Football Referee Association||Referee||1986|
Nkalagu, Ishielu LGA,, Ebonyi State.
People’s Democratic Party
Senator, representing Ebonyi Central Senatorial District (since 2015
In 1997, Ogba was appointed a member of the Federal Government Delegation to the United States of America on Image Building. Thereafter, in 1998, he fully went into politics by being elected as the Chairman of Ishielu Local Government Area, Ebonyi State. Ogba was also appointed the Chairman of the Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON) in Ebonyi State.
Following this, due to his experience in football, he was appointed the Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Ebonyi State in 2002. After serving in this capacity, he became the chairman of some football associations in the state and country.
In 2015, Ogba contested for the senatorial seat representing Ebonyi Central Senatorial District, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party. He was elected and appointed Chairman of the Senate Committee on Sports. Ogba was re-elected to the Nigerian Senate in 2019 and retained his position as the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Sports and Social Development.
On January 1st, 2022, during a press briefing, he declared his interest to run for governorship of Ebonyi State in the 2023 elections on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party.
Awards & Honours
2021 South-East Senator of the Year Award by Independent Newspaper
- Established secondary schools in Nalagu, Ezillo, Nkalaha communities in Ishielu
- Brought the existence of public power supply to Ogboji and Aguotu Villages in Ezzaegu Community,
- Initiated an annual empowerment program for his constituents, in which empowerment items such as motorcycles, sewing machines, vehicles, etc are given to participants
- Construction of bridges and roads in rural communities in his constituency
- Sponsorship of some constituents on overseas tours, with each receiving a minimum stipend of ₦500,000 on arrival
- Partnered with Project Development Institute to organise a skill acquisition and vocational programme for over 100 women and youths across the local governments in Ebonyi Central
- Award of scholarship to indigenes of Ebonyi Central through the Joseph Obinna Ogba (Jnr.) Education Foundation (JOOEF)
In 2020, the Chairman of Afikpo-South Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, Dr. Eni Uduma Chima, alleged that Ogba forged his two Ordinary Level West African Examination results of 1989 and 1990. According to the Chairman, the fake results are products of examination malpractice, impersonation and criminality, as the passport photographs on the two results are those of two different people and not that of Ogba.