Dr Kadri Obafemi Hamzat is a Nigerian politician who is the current Deputy Governor of Lagos State, on the platform of All Progressives Congress. He is an engineer by profession.
He was born on the 19th of September 1964 in Lagos State to Late Oba Mufutau Olatunji Hamzat (Olu of Afowowa Sogaade) and Late Alhaja Kehinde Hamzat who was from Iga Egbe, Lagos State. His father was a politician who served as a Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation and the Lagos West Senatorial District leader of Action Congress. Kadri is married to Oluremi Hamzat, and they are blessed with children.
|Harvard University, Massachusetts, USA||Executive Education Programme|
|Cranfield University, England||Ph.D Process System Engineering||1992|
|University of Ibadan, Oyo State||M.Sc Crop Processing Engineering||1986-1988|
|University of Ibadan, Oyo State||B.Sc Agricultural Engineering||1981-1986|
|Olivet Baptist High School, Oyo State||West African Senior Secondary Certificate|
|Odu Abore Memorial Primary School, Mushin, Lagos State||First School Leaving Certificate|
|Oando Plc., Lagos State||Chief Information Officer;
Group Head, IT Strategy
|Morgan Stanley,New York, USA||
Senior Associate, PC Engineering
|Merrill Lynch Inc., New York, USA||
Vice-President, Core Technology Support Group
|Columbia University, New York, USA||
Adjunct Professor, CTA Programme
|College of New Rochelle, New York, USA||
|RTP Consulting Services, New York, USA||Desktop System Support|
Lagos State, Nigeria
19th September 1964
All Progressive Congress (APC)
Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Lagos State (2011-2015)
Commissioner for Science and Technology, Lagos State (2005-2011)
Deputy Governor, Lagos State (since 2019)
Hamzat’s political journey began in August 2005, when he was appointed by the then Governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, as the Commissioner for Science and Technology – a position he retained when Fashola assumed office.
In 2011, Fashola appointed Hamzat as the Lagos State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure – a position he held until the Fashola left the governorship office in 2015. Between 2016 and 2018, Hamzat served in the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, as the Special Adviser Technical to the Honourable Minister Babatunde Fashola. During this time, he served as a consultant to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), on public infrastructures such as Architectural designs, Structural designs, Quantity surveying, and Mechanical and Engineering devices.
Hamzat resigned from his advisory role in September 2018 to contest in the Lagos State gubernatorial elections. He however withdrew from the race in support of Babajide Sanwo-Olu, of whom Hamzat became his running mate. The duo won the gubernatorial elections, and in May 2019, Hamzat was sworn in as the Deputy Governor of Lagos State.
Awards & Honours
- 2014 Commissioner of the Year
- 2013 Lagos State Man of the Year Award
- During his tenure as Commissioner for Science and Technology, he enforced the application of modern technology in the state’s ministries, thus, changing the face of data and record keeping in Lagos, and eliminating the trend of state ghost workers.
- During his tenure as Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, he oversaw the completion of the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge, construction of the Lekki-Epe Expressway, expansion of Lagos- Badagry Expressway with a rail (blue line), etc.
- During his tenure as governor, a controversial proposal to charge consumption tax on eateries was enforced. The case was taken to court, however, the ruling was announced in the favour of the Lagos State government.