Omoyele Sowore is the founder and CEO of a notable online media platform Sahara Reporters. He is also a writer, lecturer, human rights activist, Entrepreneur, Journalist and public commentator on national issues. Sowore is a presidential candidate who ran under the flagship of African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2019 elections.
Born February 16, 1971, in the Niger Delta, Omoyele Sowore is an indigene of Ondo State from South-Western Nigeria. He has been credited for high-level political, social and economic stories and reports, often described as controversial. He is married with children, but due to the nature of his profession keeps his family away from the prying eyes of the public. He is hailed by friends and fans as “Sho Baba!”
|Community High School Kiribo, Ondo State||1985|
|WAEC||Ofedepe Comprehensive High School Okitipupa, Ondo State.||1987|
|Bsc. Geography and Planning||University of Lagos||1989 -1995|
|NYSC||Youth service in Yola, Adamawa State||1995-1996;|
|Master’s Degree in Public Administration||Columbia University, New York, USA.||2003|
|Catholic Charities New York tri-state area|
|Writer / investigative reporting/ Partner||elendureports.com,||2005|
|Founder||Sahara Reporters||2006 to present|
Ese-Odo local government area of Ondo State
February 16, 1971
Awards & Honours
- During his time in Unilag as the SUG President, there were claims that he was a cultist which attracted enemies from rival cult members. They eventually caught up with him during an attack where he was reportedly injected with a chemical called “Lead”. He had to be flown to America for proper medical treatment in 1999 and survived.
- During the 2014 election, Sowore was accused of collecting bribes from President Buhari to ridicule former President Goodluck Jonathan.
- His media company Sahara Reporter has been accused of extorting from Government officials for his personal greed.
- Sowore has had beef with almost all the politicians in Nigeria, resulting in his life being threatened or in other cases facing legal charges.
- He has a long list of political enemies including, Senator Dino Melaye, Bukola Saraki, and Ted Ikuru just to mention a few.
- On 3rd Of August 2019, he was arrested by the Nigerian State Security Service(SSS) for alleged treason after calling for a protest tagged “RevolutionNow”
- He was arrested again and beaten during a protest in Abuja on 1 January 2021. Sowore was injured by a police officer during a protest in Abuja on 31 May 2021