Otunba Adebisi Adegboyega Egbeyemi served as deputy governor of Ekiti State from 2018 to 2022, on the platform of All Progressives Congress. He has previously served as the Ekiti State Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, as well as the Commissioner for Education. He is a lawyer by profession.
He was born on 8th May 1944 in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State, to the family of Pa. Michael Egbeyemi Alade and Madam Tinubu Egbeyemi. He is married to Mrs Funke Egbeyemi, and they are blessed with children.
|Nigerian Law School, Lagos State||B.L (Bachelor of Laws)||1980-1981|
|Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State||LL.B||1977-1980|
|University of Lagos, Lagos State||Distinction in Physical Education|
|Harding Memorial Secondary Modern School||Modern School Certificate||1962|
|Baptist School, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State||1959|
|Holy Trinity Anglican School Ilawe-Ekiti, Ekiti State||West African Senior School Certificate||1958|
|St. Saviour’s Primary School, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State||First School Leaving Certificate||1952-1957|
|Odua Investment Company Limited||Director||2010-2014|
|Owena Motels, Ondo State||Director|
|National Teachers Institute, Kaduna State||Board Member, Governing Council||2001-2002|
|Divisional Teachers’ Training College, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State||Physical Education Tutor||1975-1977|
|St. Mary’s School, Ikole-Ekiti, Ekiti State||Biology Teacher||1975|
|Notre Dame Grammar School, Usi-Ekiti, Ekiti State||Bursar||1970-1972|
|Notre Dame Grammar School, Usi-Ekiti, Ekiti State||Account Clerk||1969-1970|
|Ekiti Parapo College, Ido-Ekiti, Ekiti State||Laboratory Assistant||1965-1968|
Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State
8th May, 1944
All Progressives Congress
Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Ekiti State (2002-2003)
Commissioner for Education, Ekiti State (1999-2002)
Deputy Governor, Ekiti State (2018-2022)
Egbeyimi’s political career began when he served as the Youth Leader of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) between 1978 and 1983. In 1983, he was also a member of the Ondo House of Assembly. Egbeymi went on to become the Chairman of Ado Ekiti Local Government between 1991 and 1993.
Egbeyemi was appointed the leader of the United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP) Ado Ekiti Local Government in 1996 and held this position until 1997. He was also a founding member of the political party, Alliance for Democracy (AD). In 1998, on the platform of the Alliance for Democracy, Egbeymi won elections to the Federal House of Representatives. However, it was abruptly cancelled by General Abacha regime.
In 1999, he was appointed the Commissioner for Education in Ekiti State, an office he held until 2002. Following this, he was moved to the State Ministry of Justice and became the Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Ekiti State between 2002 and 2003.
Egbeyemi was a founding member and leader of the Action Congress, Ado Local Government of Ekiti State between 2008 and 2010.
In 2017, Egbeyemi was chosen by Kayode Fayemi of All Progressives Congress to be his running mate in the 2018 Ekiti State gubernatorial elections. On Sunday, 15 July 2018, they were declared the winner of the Ekiti State election. They recorded 197,462 votes to surpass the 177,927 votes of Kolapo Olushola of the People’s Democratic Party. Thus, Egbeymi was sworn in as the Deputy Governor of Ekiti State on 16th October, 2018 in Ado Ekiti.
Awards & Honours
- 2019 Award of Excellence conferred by Ekiti Kete in Canada,
- 2002 Merit Award of the Federation of Ekiti Students Union
- 2002 Honour as Justice of Peace by Ekiti State Government
- 2000 Award as Best Commissioner in Ekiti State
- 1992 Best Chairman of all Local Governments in Ondo State
- 1979 Merit Award of Law Society, Obafemi Awolowo University
- 1979 Award winner of Knight of Equity, Faculty of Law, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Fellow, Nigerian Youth Organisation
- Rehabilitation of Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Established the Ekiti State Polytechnic in Isan-Ekiti
- Attracted $250,000 funding from the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) for the feasibility study of the Ekiti Knowledge Zone (smart city project)
- Installation of four 500KVA distribution substation transformers in Ido Ekiti
- Construction of International Cargo Airport
- Distribution of ₦497 million to 70 communities to complete ongoing projects in their domains and to initiate new ones
- Construction of Ekiti Civic Centre located at the Business District Area of Fajuyi Square, Ado Ekiti.
- Creation of 19 additional Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs)
- Rehabilitation of Ekiti State Teaching Hospital
- Construction of major federal roads across Ekiti State
In 2020, the media reported several allegations that Egbeyemi had been threatened with impeachment by Governor Fayemi to coerce executives of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Ward 8 in Ado Ekiti to sign a resolution to suspend the Special Adviser to the President on political matters, from the party. It was alleged the Chairman of the Ward was abducted and taken to the Deputy Governor’s personal residence to compel him to affect the suspension of the Special Adviser. However, Egbeyemi debunked the allegations, describing them as “tissues of lies and wicked falsehood against innocent people”. According to him, nothing and nobody can come between him and Fayemi.