Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha is the present Senator representing Imo West Senatorial District, on the platform of All Progressives Congress. He was the Governor of Imo State between 2011 and 2019. Okorocha is a businessman, philanthropist and administrator. He is versed in local, national, and international policies and global trends in economic development.
He was born on 22nd September 1962 in Ogboko, Ideato South, Imo State, to an Imo father and an Anambra mother. He grew up in Barkin Ladi, Plateau State. Okorocha is married to Nneoma Nkechi Okorocha, and they have six children. He is one of the richest politicians in Nigeria, with an estimated net worth of $1.4 billion.
|University of Jos, Plateau State||LL.M|
|University of Jos, Plateau State||LL.B||1999-2004|
|Benue State University, Benue State||Postgraduate Diploma in Management|
|University of Jos, Plateau State||Advanced Diploma in Public Administration||1993-1994|
|University of Jos, Plateau State||Diploma in Law, Security and Conflict Management|
|University of Jos, Plateau State||Diploma in Public Administration||1990-1991|
|Juladaco High School, Jos, Plateau State||West African Senior Secondary Certificate||1976-1981|
|St. Joseph Primary School, Barkin Ladi, Jos, Plateau State||First School Leaving Certificate||1970-1976|
|Nigerian Airspace Management Agency||Board Chairman|
|African Business School||Pro-Chancellor|
|Rochas Professionals and Allied Group||Founder/Chairman|
|Rochas Foundation Inc & Rochas Foundation Colleges||President/Founder||1998|
|Rochas Group of Companies Limited||President||1987|
|Kings Commercial College||Proprietor/Owner||1984|
|Nigeria Red Cross Society||President|
|St. Mark’s Commercial College, Zawan, Plateau State||Teacher; Principal|
Ogboko, Ideato South Local Government Area of Imo State
22nd September, 1962
Imo State, Nigeria
All Progressives Congress (APC)
Okorocha’s political career began when he served as the Commissioner on the Federal Character Commissioner, and when he was a Member of the National Constitutional Conference.
In 1999, he competed in the primaries of the People’s Democratic Party to be the party’s candidate for the Imo State gubernatorial elections. He was unsuccessful. In 2003, he continued in his political ambition by decamping from PDP to the All Nigeria People’s Party to run for the party’s presidential nomination. Again, he was unsuccessful. He returned to PDP, and was appointed as the Special Adviser to President Olusegun Obasanjo on Inter-Party Affairs.
Okorocha contested in the PDP presidential primaries leading up to the 2007 general elections. He emerged the first runner up, losing to Late President Yar’Adua.
Okorocha later decamped from PDP to All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to run as the party’s candidate for the 2011 Imo State gubernatorial elections. Despite being suspended from the APGA on the verdict of “anti-party activities”, Okorocha went on to campaign and eventually won the governorship seat in Imo State. He was sworn in as the Governor of Imo State in May 2011, under the banner of APGA.
On March 2nd, 2013, Okorocha led a faction of APGA to form the All Progressives Congress. He was later elected as the Chairman of the Progressive Governors Forum. Okorocha was also re-elected the Governor of Imo State in 2015, under the banner of APC. Following the end of his tenure as Governor, he contested for the senatorial seat representing Imo West Senatorial District. He won and was sworn in on 13th June 2019.
In the past, Okorocha has expressed his interest in being the President of Nigeria. He contested in the APC presidential primaries leading up to the 2015 general elections. He was however unsuccessful. Again, Okorocha has expressed his interest to vie for the same office of the presidency under the banner of APC, in the 2023 general elections.
Awards & Honours
- 2021 “Stand of Fame Award” conferred by the Who is Who Awards
- 2014 “Leadership Par Excellence” Award by The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria
- Okorocha’s foremost project is the Rochas Foundation which birthed Rochas Foundation College, a secondary educational institution that offers free tuition, boarding, feeding, transportation and Medicare to several less privileged Nigerians.
- Built 305 primary schools and 27 Information Communication Technology (ICT) centres spread across the 27 LGAs of the state
- Secured approval of ₦922 million from the Education Trust Fund (ETF) to be used for projects in Educational Institutions in Imo State
- Upgrading of General Hospital Owerri to a Specialist Hospital.
- Developed an International Trade Fair Complex/Exhibition Center in Owerri
- Declaration of free and compulsory primary and secondary school education in Imo State
- Establishment of the Imo College of Advanced Professional Studies
- Renovation of the Indoor Sports Hall at Dan Anyiam Stadium.
- Constitution of a Task-Force group on counterfeit and fake drugs and unwholesome food items
In 2022, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) charged Okorocha with allegations that he conspired with others, including an APC politician and five companies, to steal ₦2.9 billion from public coffers.