Samuel Ominiyi Egwu is the Senator representing Ebonyi North Senatorial District under the People’s Democratic Party platform. He served as the Governor of Ebonyi State between 1999 and 2007.
He was born on 20th June 1954, at Iboko, Izzi local government area, Ebonyi State. He is married to Mrs Eunice Ukamaka Egwu, and they are blessed with children.
|Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu State||Ph.D Agronomy||1994|
|University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State||M.Sc Agricultural Science||1986|
|University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State||B.Sc Agricultural Science||1981|
|St. Johns Primary School, Iboko, Ebonyi State||First School Leaving Certificate||1965|
|Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu State||Senior Lecturer||1987-1996|
|Lake Chad Research Institute||Research Scientist||1983-1986|
Iboko, Izzi LGA, Ebonyi State
20th June, 1954
People’s Democratic Party
Commissioner for Education, Ebonyi State (1998-1999)
Governor, Ebonyi State (1999-2007)
Minister of Education (2008-2010)
Senator, representing Ebonyi North Senatorial District (since 2015)
In 1998, Egwu was appointed the Commissioner for Education in Ebonyi State, under the Military Government of Simeon Odoye. He resigned after a short while to contest for the office of Governor of Ebonyi State, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party. In 1999, Dr Samuel Ominyi Egwu was elected as the First Civilian Governor of Ebonyi State.
Egwu was re-elected in 2003 as the Governor of Ebonyi State. Following the end of his tenure, in 2008, President Umaru Yar’Adua appointed him the Federal Minister of Education – a position he held till April 2010.
In 2015, he successfully contested the senatorial seat representing Ebonyi North Senatorial District on the People’s Democratic Party platform. He served as the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Industry between 2015 and 2019.
Egwu was re-elected in the National Assembly in 2019, and currently, he serves as the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Housing.
His legislative interests include: Agriculture, Education and Public Account
Awards & Honours
National Honour of Commander of the Order of the Nigeria (CON)
Excellence in Leadership Award by Leadership Watch
2002 Prize for Good Governance conferred by the National Media Tour Team
- Initiated free and compulsory education policy for all Ebonyi children, at primary and secondary levels of education
- Initiated a scholarship scheme in partnership with foreign universities, which provided an opportunity for young Ebonyi State indigenes to study up to doctorate levels in their discipline of interest
- Built structure for the Faculty of Agriculture and Faculty of Law, Ebonyi State University, Ezzamgbo, Ohaukwu LGA
- Introduced female soccer team, Ebonyi Angels,
- Established several recreational centres and sporting facilities in Abakaliki
- Facilitated the training and empowerment of Ebonyi North constituents on modern agricultural practice
- Attracted the construction of an ultra-modern ICT facility in Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Donation of 500 laptops to students across local governments in the Ebonyi North constituency
Egwu’s stay as the Minister of Education was characterised by several Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strikes and strikes of other university unions. This led to the masses demanding his sacking. The criticisms increased when Egwu spent 120 million to celebrate his wedding anniversary, just 48 hours after the Trade Union Congress (TUC) demanded his sack for the lackadaisical way he handled the strike by university lecturers.